HomeDaily GraceReading NowBible StudyTea and RosesContact Me

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

That's Why I'm Here

There is nothing in my life that gives me more comfort than my mother's prayers. Other than the presence of my sweet Lord, knowing that my Mother is praying for me brings me my greatest source of peace and confidence. She is a woman whose life is given to prayer and considers it a privilege to intercede on behalf of others. Recent family situations have driven all of us to our knees and I think we have come to know more than ever before the necessity of prayer. Yet, it has been Mother who has continued to keep her vigil of prayer for her children and grandchildren during this time of extreme testing.


My sweet Mother. This was taken in the late 1960's, shortly after my Daddy had become a pastor


As you know from previous posts, my brother, Dan, has recently been through surgery for colon cancer. Upon receiving the news of Dan's cancer, Mother showed a faith that can only come from those who know God intimately. As she watched her son go through the initial surgery and then, due to post-op complications, a second one , her faith never wavered. Every day she and Daddy made the trip to the hospital to be at my brother's side. She sat by his bed and prayed with him. She walked with him in the hallways and prayed with him. She watched him sleep and prayed with him. Every single day, my brother was bathed in the prayers of our Godly Mother. He is now home and recovering well. I know he believes that the prayers of our Mother had much to do with his recovery.

Just recently, I have been enduring my own difficult time. Uncertain of how to handle my circumstances, uncertain of even how to pray about them, I called Mother and asked her to pray for me. As I began to share with her the details of the situation, she listened quietly. When I could speak no more for the tears and the despair of my heart, Mother said to me, "I will pray for you and God will move. He will help you in this situation. I believe in my heart that everything will be alright.". Oh, the love I felt for her at that moment. Oh, the gratitude that flooded my heart cannot be expressed in words. I said to her, "Mother, it gives me such peace to know you are praying for me. What will I do when you are gone and there is no one to pray for me?". I heard that familiar little chuckle of hers as, without missing a beat she said, "That's why I'm here.".


This photo of my Mother was taken shortly before her 80th birthday. My beautiful, Godly Mother.


My Mother is 81 years old. She is an active little lady although she has become a little more frail in recent months. She still travels with Daddy to their various ministerial functions and still maintains her home without outside help. Her life's mission, however, has been to be the intercessor---to be the prayer warrior---to be the one who stands in the gap for those she loves. She does it well and without complaint. She is, quite frankly, a remarkable woman. I so long to be like her.

I know that there will be a day when my dear, precious Mother will no longer be with me. The voice that I have heard pray for me all my life will be silenced. I pray that when that time comes, I can continue on in the role she has begun. I pray to be the prayer warrior and guardian of my family. I pray to be strong in faith and to be able to continually devote myself to praying for those I know and love. It is my desire to be able to repeat the words of my Mother and to tell those I keep in prayer, "That's why I'm here.".

In Grace,
Marie

2 comments:

  1. You are blessed to have such a wonderful mother.... enjoy every day with her. My mother died in 1975 and believe it or not I still miss her.... she died too young.
    God bless...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Marie,
    What a blessing you have been to me today. I have spent some time here feeling the spirit in every word you write. I love the tribute to your amazing and graceful mother. She sounds so much like mine. The one I miss each and everyday. There is no greater love then the prayers said and lifted on our behave from our precious mothers. I try each and every day to carry on the example my dear mother left for me with her life. I know you will do the same one day and God will be by your side to see you through and continue the work your mother started.
    Until then, she is here and a beautiful teacher.
    I will pray for you as well and ask God to guide your direction in all ways.

    Thank you for stopping by to visit me and your kind words touched my heart and filled my eyes with tears. Love to you dear one.
    God bless you always.
    Celestina Marie
    p.s. before my grandmother passed away, my mother said to her, "mom who will I call upon when I need your love and help", grandma replied, "always call and I will come"

    ReplyDelete