HomeDaily GraceReading NowBible StudyTea and RosesContact Me

Thursday, August 13, 2009

When I Dream


As a child, I had a huge imagination. I would make up my own stories and write my own "books" (I have always loved to write). As I got older and began to plan my own life, I started having my own dreams about what my life would be like. I dreamed of being a gospel singer---I dreamed of being a teacher---I dreamed of being a nurse---I dreamed of being an author. As I read about places around the world, I dreamed of traveling to Paris, London, Venice and Greece. I dreamed of cruise ships and moonlight dancing. I dreamed of Prince Charming and I dreamed of the children I would have.
What I didn't dream about was a life that would go on without the people I loved. I didn't think about marriage ending in betrayal and I didn't dream about a body wracked with pain everyday. I didn't dream about a faith that would be tested beyond its limitations. I couldn't imagine a life without hope. I did not anticipate dreams shattering and my whole world coming to a halt. I couldn't see these things happening---but they did.
For the longest time, I lost my dreams. I lost my vision of a happy life and a joyous future. I had no dreams to dream. I awoke every day, I went to work, I continued my responsibilities at my church, I spent time with my children, and I did it all feeling like it was someone else inside me. I felt like I had lost myself. My dreams were gone. No more writing, no more dreaming, no more hopes for the future. It was all gone---lost to the pain and agony of a life unfulfilled.
Ah, but we all know that God brings us 'round at the appointed time. I remember sitting on my sofa, looking at the clock and realizing four hours of time had gone by. I had been sitting in that same spot, unmoving, for four hours. There were times when I would say to myself, "Breathe, Marie. Just breathe.". Oh, how my heart hurt and how I wanted to retreat from life. I purposely stayed in the numbness of it all because it hurt so much to feel anything. But, as I said, God brings us 'round.
I heard His voice--I felt His presence. It was as if He sat next to me, put His arms around me and began to rock me. His presence was so real. I began to cry. No, I began to weep, great weeping sobs that swept over my entire body. Heaving sobs that came from my very gut. All the pain, all the sorrow, all the agony, burst forth in wave after wave of weeping. A scripture regarding the loss of the families of King David's soldiers says, "...they wept until they had no more power to weep...". That was me. I cried until I could cry no longer. Then, I slept. For the first time in months, I slept---soundly.
I awoke knowing that God had reached through the darkness of my life and had filled it with His light. I made coffee, I read the paper, I played my piano---and I sang!!! I sang until my throat was sore. I called my mother and asked her if she would make me breakfast. I ate with Mother and Daddy for the first time in months. Mother looked at me with tear-filled eyes while I ate her wonderful homemade biscuits and gravy. Daddy sat at the head of the table and looked me in the eye and said, "I knew you would come back sooner or later.". Mother hugged me as I got ready to leave that morning. Her heart was so full she could not speak but she hugged me tight. Daddy grabbed me and lifted me off my feet to swing me around Mother's kitchen while I laughed aloud like I did as a little girl. I had begun to heal.
That dark time of my life took place a long time ago. I have not forgotten those awful hours nor do I wish to. I want to remember what it was like to lose hope and dreams. It helps me remember now what it is like to have those hopes and dreams restored. It helps me understand others who are experiencing their own loss of dreams. It helps me pray effectively.
So what do I dream about now? I dream about traveling to Paris for my 60th birthday. I dream about singing gospel music on stage. I dream about writing books that will encourage the body of Christ. I dream about a grand-daughter. I dream about finding the love of my life. Most of all, I dream about being a woman God is proud of. I dream of being the woman of Proverbs. I dream of Heaven and I dream of the smile of God. Praise my precious Lord whose great love and mercy gave me back my dreams. I dream of Him--when I dream.

In Grace,
Marie

5 comments:

  1. Marie, your writing is so beautiful. I really identified with the type of hurting you write of. Some things in my life have brought me to my knees, but the Lord has always carried me through the trials. He has made the rough places smooth and the hard things easy to bear. Thank you for the lovely post and for coming by to see me and leaving a footprint on my heart.
    Smiles,
    June

    ReplyDelete
  2. Howdy
    Oh my gosh
    what a beautiful testimony you have.
    You probably think I am awful
    to not leave commnets on a regular basis,
    but I have had troubles with blogger
    ever since February
    when I first began.
    So please know
    while I may not leave a comment
    I do visit ,
    I do pray,
    and I am so thankful to God
    that you are here !!!!!!!!
    Thank you so much for this amazing post.
    Blessings to you and yours .
    Love Ya
    Big Hugs
    Happy Trails

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Post, Marie. So sincere and honest.

    I suppose all of us have had certain crosses to bear. I rarely write of mine as many are still raw...some wounds heal slowly, I suppose.

    What I know for certain is that God is ALWAYS in the midst of our hurts...our sufferings...our longings.

    You have a precious heart, M.

    Love, Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dreams . . . what a wonderful thing when they are fulfilled, but how disappointing when they aren't. But we must always know that God has a perfect plan and perfect timing to his plan!

    Love ya,
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Marie,
    Your dreams have come true, I know God is so proud of you. You are an amazing gal.
    Take care and enjoy your day,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete